Sunday 2 January 2011

In one end out the other . . .

Winning Veterans at Thruxton today
Wessex League Cyclocross
Cyclocross image: www.grahamrobins.net
No, I'm not talking about something nasty and possibly catching, I'm talking about Christmas and New year. Mind you, that can be nasty and catching too but it's all about moderation. I'm specifically talking about trying to hold some kind of form over a two week period, drinking, eating, trying to be cheerful to the kids and wife (which I think I managed ok) without collapsing into a Meldrewesque' malady and not even touching the bike, which has been known in the past.  But I'm focussed on the British CycloCross National Champs next week and I really don't need a drop in form.

The last race I did was at Hillingdon, three weeks ago, but I have managed to train, albeit short, but fast interval sessions with just one two hour endurance session between Xmas and NY. I hated that! after one hour I'd had enough, it was cold, damp, dirty and boring as hell. I've been so used to thrashing the Cross bikes in races, and mashing the singlespeed in training at lunch times, that a 'normal' ride just seemed so tedious. All the way through I was trying to think about the five and a half hour, 139km, two mountain  Cycloportif La Madeleine I did in July, in the Alps. Did I really, seriously do that? I think it was all a dream because I am fit now, probably fitter than in July; definitely faster, but I'm only good for an hour. (It's quality that counts, not quantity ;0) and there is no way I could motivate myself to do that summer ride now.

Sean Williams (Wightlink/Offshore RT)
Wessex League Cyclocross
Cyclocross image: www.grahamrobins.net
So, today I did a pre-nationals test at Thruxton 'Grass' Circuit, at the other end of the xmas break. I have to say that they did a great job of totally transforming the lap today, even though it was staged in exactly the same place as last time. The twist and turns, hairpins and lack of boring, flat out sections really made a very big difference. Think that maybe it could have done with a couple of hurdle sections but still, a good course from what is basically a field (such a shame considering there is a motor racing circuit there. A bit of tarmac would have been a nice addition - see Hillingdon/Eastway for tips!!). I think all the training has been good, I won another veteran race and got second overall in the combined Vets/Junior/Women race. Luke Cowley won and rode well, although I wish I had been a bit more aggressive at the start as he made a 20-30 second gap in two laps and that's how it stayed right until the end. My legs felt a bit dead, which I sort of expected after all the real ale, wine and food, and my breathing wasn't great either, but I had a good lead over the chasing Veterans (around a minute and a half to Dave McMullen at the end, so I must have been doing ok.) Rode the spare bike as the bike I have ridden all season has a serious brake judder on the front fork which is getting pretty annoying. Need to fix that.

Sean Williams (Wightlink/Offshore RT)
Wessex League Cyclocross
Cyclocross image: www.grahamrobins.net
Last Wessex league round is going to be tight for the Vet/Junior/Women overall. Luke, I will let you do the math, doesn't take too much to work out the possible outcomes. I think that as long as I finish I should be ok for the Veteran overall, which is very satisfying for first year as a Vet (and one of two season aims achieved; the other being a podium position at the South of England Champs), albeit with a bit of a let off after Keith Sheridan broke his hand last week in the Boxing Day cross at Southampton Sports centre. Hope it heals quickly Keith.

National Champs next week, then an MTB race and after that the final Wessex Cross league round of the 2010/11 season.

No comments:

Post a Comment