Sunday 19 September 2010

Wessex Cyclo Cross League Round Two - Cowley - Oxford

Pics by Cyclocross photographer: www.grahamrobins.net
First cross race of the season for me. 20degrees, rock solid conditions and a very fast course. Felt strange racing full-on on thin tyres across that terrain, but didn't take long to blow the cobwebs away. Haven't raced properly since May (apart from an MTB race a few weeks back) but was fairly happy with my performance; 10th overall and 3rd veteran behind Keith Sheridan (Corinium CC) and Lewis King (Beeline). Bike felt good and didn't need to use spare, but my cornering was awful, and there was a lot of cornering. I'm not sure if it was just me not committing myself into the sharp turns, or if I had too much pressure in tyres or if my rather large Flanders frame is messing up my centre of gravity. When the ground gets a bit softer I'm confident it will all come good. I thought I'd seriously gashed my left ankle on my crank threads (didn't have a cap on) the pain was so bad at one point, but on close inspection all I have is a small puncture mark in the skin. A got a thorn right in the tip of my finger too so I'm guessing I may have rode a bit close to one of the thistle bushes to the left of the steep drop onto the football pitch - which led into another sharp turn; one I was messing up bad every lap!!! Gotta focus more. Only the first one though, 13 or so to go :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment