Sunday 15 August 2010

Energy Gel Test and Hilly ride out to the Military Road

With a mind to starting some proper training tomorrow I used today as a tester endurance session at Level 1 (25bpm below threshold) and planned on 2 hours through Cowes, out to Freshwater, down the Military Road then back through to Newport via Chale Green, Bleak Down and Rookley, a total of just under 41miles.

Yesterday I rode for 90 minutes at Lvl1 and noticed it was getting quite hard to maintain the heart rate after about an hour, and I was only riding on one bottle of water, that I didn't even finish. Today I thought I'd take one sachet of High 5energy Gel and a bottle of Orange Lucozade sport in my bidon. I can do 2 hours on just water, this isn't that long a ride in my mind, but this ride would be a bit quicker than I normally do.

After an hour I swallowed the gel throughout the ride I drank the Lucozade and it definitely made a difference to holding the level quite comfortably right until the end. I'd used them while riding in the Alps and knew the gels worked anyway but they were long slow endurance rides of around 4-5hours where today was a quick middle distance ride.

My right knee started to hurt again too which is a bit worrying, so I'm hoping the running (as long as I go easy to start with) will strengthen it up, either that or it will make it worse, but I'm concerned the short sharp running sections in cyclo-cross might do it in completely! so best not ignore it.

Todays session stats:
Duration: 2h08m33secs
Ave Speed: 19mph
Distance: 40.77miles
Total Climbing: 2684ft

Click for large map

No comments:

Post a Comment