Wednesday 7 July 2010

La Madeleine 137 km Cyclo-Sportive - French Alps

Here's the results for La Madeleine 137 km Cyclo-Sportive - French Alps that i did last Sunday. 54 finishers in this. 156 finished the event in total, the vast majority only doing the 110km Madelon (same route but missing out Valmoral)

I finished 20th which I think was quite a good result. It was more like a race with a mass start and there were plenty of local Frenchies going for it I can tell you. I got into a 5 man break for 40k which was very exciting, outriders and cars holding the traffic up. I couldn't understand what they were saying but I think they were moaning about my lack of contribution to the break!! Well, it was a sportive not a race, what did they expect? (I still had two mountains to go over too). Sorry guys, but do a race if you want people to work.

More links:

http://www.jingoo.com/index.php?key_user=$1$yUcVoP5D$dnnJ2C8lE6BRTtrNNZvZgA Some pics of me on this site climbing the Madeleine and on the front in the 5 man break.

http://www.comitesavoieffc.com/madeleine/col.html The awesome Col du Madeleine
http://www.comitesavoieffc.com/madeleine/histoirecol.pdf History of the Col du Madeleine in the Tour de France

4 comments:

  1. Hi - just come across this by random.
    We also did La Madeleine....3 officially and 1 unofficially (ie from the north side)... but only Allan Hopkins gets listed in the official results, I notice.
    Do you have an email??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry don't have an email, all I managed to do was find the results. Your post was a while back now, did you have any luck getting through to the organiser? Great event though, won't be forgetting that in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a race. The event title gives it away - "La Madeleine Cyclosportive". Cyclosportives are timed races whereas cyclotourisme events are not. Your race result in 20th place is excellent and the local riders would have expected you to take your turn at the front. As for the official result, the entry form states that any rider who does not reach the 100k mark (La Léchère)by 14.30 would be classed in the 110k event "Le Madelon".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stand corrected Keith!! Thanks for the info. I was led to believe it was a sportive and treated it as such. I don't read or speak French, so didn't read the lit. Makes me feel good about the result. I was just on holiday in the Alps and entered with mates to get a good ride in. Feel bad i didn't contribute much now, but I still did a share now and then.

    ReplyDelete